• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Tournament Fighting

m4rt1n

Adept
I have played the weekly tournaments from first starting my game a year ago.

Now in chapter 9 the tournament fights even using manual fighting have become impossibly difficult.

I have seen this mentioned many times, but because I play the game and take all the squad size upgrades to stay in line with the province fights in the yellow or orange zone, I am now priced and forced out of the weekly tournaments due to troops required to fight and the huge increase in difficulty and goods at a huge amount required to negotiate.

I am not impressed at all, and in my opinion the tournaments are for chapter 4-8 players only at present.

Half my game is played for the fun of the tournaments, so WHY INNO is it now impossible after being able to manually fight them for months?

Tournaments in my opinion need urgently reassessing in how they increase in difficulty and it should NOT be linked to squad size.

DeletedUser4149

I actually disagree w/ both of you, somewhat. m4rt is right about larger squad sizes helping if you need to clear regular encounters. it also increases the strength of a bulwark. if you plan on doing more in tournaments than in regular encounters, unlocking bigger squads could be a bad idea. it depends on your situation. we might need to clear a lot of regular encounters in the coming event.
i'm not sure if larger squads increase the amount of goods needed to cater. that'd be news to me if that's right.
I don't think that tournaments are too hard. i'm now in halflings. I only use regular barracks units and still find them winnable and worth the rewards gained even at provinces numbered 20 and up. this will vary on the type of province. some are easier than others. maybe you're doing too many rounds.

Deleted User - 106219

As your squad size increases the cost of catering tournaments also increases. Past a certain squad size you also start needing Orcs to cater. But the relation between squad size and cater costs is not linear, so the exact relation is not clear.

But it is a well-known fact that if you skip the optional squad size upgrades your catering costs in tournaments are much lower. See Cateringcost-Squadsize tournament

AWs also make a difference when fighting, so that might influence the difficulty.

m4rt1n

Adept
So this week I finished 84th in the weekly tourney after 2 squad upgrades, my worst performance in months. :(

DeletedUser441

Elemental level players are barely able to tourney at all due to 3 mandatory squad size upgrades. The game's balance is clearly broken

Martin put a level on your Monastery Sanctuary and 2 on your Mountain Halls
Why Mountain Halls ? It has nothing to do with troops. :confused:

DeletedUser4149

a stronger mt hall would increase good production, making catering a tiny bit more affordable. I still think the first three rounds of tournaments are not hard for someone who started halflings. the elementals on our team seem to be doing well in tournaments too

DeletedUser1829

The difficulty is fixed the squad size upgrades don't impact it. It's strange in chapter 9 you are saying it is impossible. For those talking about elementals, a lot of my fellowship is in elementals and having no issue what so however doing as well or better than before.

Sometimes there are slight variations in difficulty based on where you are in the tech tree compared to certain tech upgrades of units compared to when you face higher skilled starred units in the battlefield. I haven't tracked where these all are but they are normally short lived in my experience.

m4rt1n

Adept
I am talking about the number of troops required and amount of goods needed, rather than the fights becoming harder. Maybe I should have been clearer. I now cannot train enough troops or make enough goods to cater the most difficult combo's, to be able to score as highly as I could every week previously.
I usually played between 8-10 provinces to level 6, but now only managed to province 6 completed.

DeletedUser441

Yes Mountain Hall increases goods production which grants some flexibility in tourney. Each tourney has special challenges and difficulties and the troops needed vary from elven to human. So catering factors in to it. It just makes sense to increase the 2 or 3 Wonders that help most in tourney :)
I should have realised what you meant.:oops: Catering plays a big part in tournaments. Personally I'm trying to upgrade all my troop related AWs to save the need for catering as much as possible.

LazyTony

Sorcerer
Martin, there are various points in the tech tree where tourneying seems to get more difficult before it get easier again. This mostly happens when it's been a long time since you have been able to upgrade your barracks. However, if you are a weekly tournament player you really should avoid the optional squad techs. Add up how many world map encounters you do weekly, compare it to the number of tourney encounters you do weekly. Then decide which one to make easier/harder. Its a no brainer for me, I score over 4k every tourney. I agree that the current system is bad game design, but we have to work with the way things are, not the way we wish them to be.

Brienne is right, martial wonders (especially those that give free troops) make a huge difference.

The difficulty is fixed the squad size upgrades don't impact it. It's strange in chapter 9 you are saying it is impossible. For those talking about elementals, a lot of my fellowship is in elementals and having no issue what so however doing as well or better than before.

Sometimes there are slight variations in difficulty based on where you are in the tech tree compared to certain tech upgrades of units compared to when you face higher skilled starred units in the battlefield. I haven't tracked where these all are but they are normally short lived in my experience.

I'm afraid I disagree with Mykan here. Not only do catering costs increase, training greater numbers of troops obviously takes longer, therefore attrition of your squad count is more rapid. Finally, I would argue that a tourney encounter where the enemy has a 20% advantage in numbers is intrinsically harder when it is 1000 vs 1200 rather than 100 vs 120.

DeletedUser

I didn't encounter any difference in difficulty in the tournament this week compared to any other comparable goods type, my difficulties came from not having enough supplies due to the high demand on upgrading buildings rather than having completed the squad upgrade techs

DeletedUser1829

Maybe I should have been clearer. I now cannot train enough troops or make enough goods to cater the most difficult combo's, to be able to score as highly as I could every week previously.
I usually played between 8-10 provinces to level 6, but now only managed to province 6 completed.

This is also somewhat temporary and becomes a function of the tech tree in the guest race chapters mainly because you don't get a barrack upgrade every chapter which increases speed. They made armory and barracks upgrades alternate chapters to keep the number of military techs per chapter lower. The wonders that increase training speed and free troops help a lot. Its always a balancing act of course between training speed and training size to find what works for you to meet your tournament goals.

DeletedUser441

I found it more difficult in tournaments after researching squad size upgrades in the Sorcerers and Dragons chapter. To compensate I upgraded my Needles of the Tempest and found that the time taken to train a squad didn't change at all ! :mad: :( :rolleyes:

LazyTony

Sorcerer
I upgraded my Needles of the Tempest and found that the time taken to train a squad didn't change at all !

Its a known bug, due to a rounding error when calculating training times. The latest beta release fixes it, so it should arrive on live servers this week. Word of warning though - for some troop types the rounding error has worked in our favour, for others not. So you will see speed improvements after a needles upgrade, but some troops will take less, some more time to train.

• Some training speed boosts from Ancient Wonders didn't work correctly due to rounding issues. These have now been fixed.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/release-notes-version-1-50.10193/

Last edited:

DeletedUser441

Its a known bug, due to a rounding error when calculating training times. The latest beta release fixes it, so it should arrive on live servers this week. Word of warning though - for some troop types the rounding error has worked in our favour, for others not. So you will see speed improvements after a needles upgrade, but some troops will take less, some more time to train.

• Some training speed boosts from Ancient Wonders didn't work correctly due to rounding issues. These have now been fixed.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/release-notes-version-1-50.10193/
Thanks for the info' Lazy Tony :)

As for the Developers :

Surely ALL troop types should take less time ! What's the point in upgrading an AW if it doesn't do what it's meant to do. :(:mad::rolleyes: