• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Ancient Wonders

Deleted User - 13667

What is going to happen to the players who have researched Chapter IV and/or explored widely?

How about those who have maxed out their building space? Start dismantling?

Such questions should be addressed to properly as well in the announcement. It will affect all the players who have been on this game for some time. This is regardless whether the players use real money or not.

For players who have explored say over 50 and 100 provinces. They have much more difficulties in exploring further and clashing with the AI.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

And there is another thread regarding this topic.
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/ancient-wonders.659/#post-3521

Perhaps merging them and answering them together would be better

Totally agree about merging them. Otherwise I'l just have to link my previous post https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/ancient-wonders.659/#post-3518 for my view on how/why the disadvantage for experienced players isn't necessarily a disadvantage and in the end - the update is actually fairly well balanced to allow experienced and new players to compete for the wonders equally.

DeletedUser330

Well, I've unlocked the Ancient Wonders on the Tech Tree.

What.

A.

Joke.

I am being forced into playing in a way I do not want to.
To build the AW, I need at least 9 shards. To get a shard, I need to complete an entire province. So that's 9 provinces. At least.
If the shards I get shatter, or keep shattering, it could mean I have to do anywhere from 9 to 30 provinces just to build the AW.

So, my only real option is to rebuild armouries, rebuild the army, and fight.

Those of you who don't know, I deleted my armouries and put my barracks on hiatus due to the highly faulted and unfair fighting system... I do not wish to use the fighting system.
I am now being forced into reactivating my barracks and rebuilding the armouries.
Apparently Quests pay shards as well. But none of the declinable quests I have pay shards.
Currently have a quest in place as well asking to upgrade dust and an armoury. So yet again, I also now have to do this quest which I didn't want to do, just to hope that a quest appears that will pay shards... so I can have the AW.

I thought the Wiki said I can build my city and play the way I want to.

This new feature is making the game feel like a channelled path... "you will play like this, then do this, then do this... or you will hit a deadend and progress will halt."

Along with the crappy looking border on the map, this addition makes me know now that the developers have not actually played the game at all. If they had, they certainly wouldn't be implementing game-play styles that are against the player's wishes... in a game that says you can build however you want to.

There needs to be a serious overhaul on this addition on how shards are gained, on how the AW costs you your Boosts on your tier 3 goods... and a serious overhaul on the quests system too while we're at it.

DeletedUser330

Addition... I will not be building an Ancient Wonder. I certainly won't be going out of my way to complete up to 20 or 30 provinces to do it.

I am not reinstating my barracks or building armouries again.

I am not going to spend an incalculable amount of gold, goods and KP to have an AW.

Like the battle system, this is another feature of the game I will not be using. Shame really, this could have been a seriously awesome addition, but sadly it's just another non-entity that won't get used.

DeletedUser417

I haven't completed AW research yet but I'm gonna keep an eye on forum to read discussions about this. If it's not worth it, I will skip the research as well and just use those KP's to start the next chapter.

DeletedUser

it could mean I have to do anywhere from 9 to 30 provinces just to build the AW.
With average luck, you'll need 9/9 + 9/8 + 9/7 + 9//6 + 9/5 + 9/4 + 9/3 + 9/2 = 16.46 Rune Shards of the proper type for the first 8 slots in the Rune Shard ring, so at that point you'll also have 8.46 broken shards. Consequently 2 more shards will either directly finish your ring OR they'll fill up the broken shard bar which will allow you to fill the final slot. So unless your luck is simply AWFUL, you'll never need more than 18 Rune Shards of the appropriate type to complete a ring.

So yeah, if you're depending ONLY on sectors for your Rune Shards, then you'll need to conquer 18*2=36 sectors to build BOTH AWs, and very nearly that many to build just one or the other.
BUT
You can also get Rune Shards by contributing to other Ancient Wonders and capturing one of the top few award slots, so for vaguely 100 KPs per Rune Shard you can get the RIGHT 18 Rune Shards without ever even looking at the World Map.

DeletedUser330

I'll be spending KP on researching the things I need and want I'm afraid. Doubt I'll be putting 100 of them into something I won't use.

My Fellowship isn't hyped about AWs either tbh now we've seen what's needed to get them. I hammered the research to see what was required, I even skinted out my gold on KP and made a space for the building too. Wasn't worth it in the end.

DeletedUser

If getting shards is through encounters then I'll probably never get a wonder done as I can't fight any more, can't kill troops when the squads are 3 times the size of mine and the much heralded sword dancer promotion doesn't make things any better. I stopped making troops a while back because of this. I negotiate 2-4 encounters a day and thats it, I can't afford to do more.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone who hasn't put any money into the game has reached the dwarven tech and if so how far along they are. The game seems to be becoming more and more of a money sink. I appreciate that this game is the product that Inno are selling in order to make money in their business, but as I progress further it seems less and less fun and more and more about how much money I'll put into it. I'll freely admit that I've been using diamonds to help on the tech tree where its asking for granite and/or copper but we already know dwarves won't be the first guest race so I can only see this issue getting worse.

A player's position on the rankings is nothing to do with how well they have planned their city or how well balanced it is, its all about how much money they've paid, one look at those in the top ranks will show this.

DeletedUser66

I've already decided not to build any of the elf wonders, simply because the stats are useless for the amount of KP needed and then still boosted relics. I haven't seen the stats of the dwarf ones yet but if elf ones are any to go on, I won't bother with them either.

Perhaps when I finished the dwarf tech tree, I'll consider building the best one so KP doesn't waste - but it has been a disappointment so far.

Same conversations on beta, yet they were pushed through anyway.

DeletedUser

I'll be spending KP on researching the things I need and want I'm afraid.
While you're still working your way through the Tech Tree I pretty much agree with you, although I'd suggest that devoting 25% of your allowance to the development of your Ancient Wonders will end up as your saddle point.

HOWEVER, when you've maxed out your tech tree and there's no OTHER use for your Knowledge Points, then the Ancient Wonders are the only game in town.

Deleted User - 13667

Based on what is mentioned here from those who got this AW, seems like the Ancient Wonder is not more than just a sham.

I'm starting to think the game programming simply went in a direction regardless or not the players here provide any feedback.

DeletedUser417

A player's position on the rankings is nothing to do with how well they have planned their city or how well balanced it is, its all about how much money they've paid, one look at those in the top ranks will show this.

True, but ignore those and just think: Wow, they must have been really desperate and looking up at top players and decided that money can buy the glory. Just leave them and be proud of yourself that you've reached that rank where you're at all on your own strength ;)

DeletedUser330

Ugh. Ok, completing provinces doesn't always give you the shard you want. I just completed two provinces as I was after an expansion... and got a shard for the culture AW and one for the soldier AW. So... to get the AW you're after might actually require you to complete anywhere up to 60 provinces.

I very much doubt I'll have an AW before 2017 tbh.

This is a feature that has been introduced that is solely for diamond purchasers. It is almost impossible for regular players to get.
I've bought diamonds before, but I ain't spending a grand just to get something that gives almost nothing in return.

DeletedUser330

Addition... I completed about 18 non-declinable quests today too...

... and not a single one gave me any shards.

DeletedUser417

Addition... I completed about 18 non-declinable quests today too...
... and not a single one gave me any shards.

That is not good... they really have to look into this again. I think we should just play on and not go after the shards. Just have a look every now and then where you stand with shards. And one day you will have a full circle :) I rather complete my provinces for expansions than shards. On those expansions I can build more culture. I don't use my army anyways so a huge part of the AW's is useless to me. I just wish they split up the tree for and AW's negotiaters and battlers one day *sigh*

DeletedUser

I just wish they split up the tree for and AW's negotiaters and battlers one day *sigh*
Yeah, that would be awesome, but I doubt that will ever happen. Would make progressing through the tech tree far too quick for a start, and then those players who play hybrid cities will start to complain that they must research twice as much as someone who chooses to just negotiate or just fight, etc...

Anyhow, I agree that the AWs don't appear very rewarding at the moment. Nevertheless, I'm certain there will be some major changes if the majority of the community expresses dissatisfaction with them. The devs don't get paid to ruin the game, so they must wake up at some point. :p

DeletedUser277

I wasn't going to post on this topic yet, as frankly its to early to come to any real judgement, but given the very negative comments made I feel compelled to say that I like how getting the AWs is challenging and takes some time. That's the point; its not supposed to be about instant gratification, but a reward for consistent activity and patience.

This is a feature that has been introduced that is solely for diamond purchasers. It is almost impossible for regular players to get.
No, this is clearly not the case. Diamonds just make it quicker, it is perfectly possible to complete the AWs without diamonds. Like I said, you need patience :rolleyes:

I think we should just play on and not go after the shards. Just have a look every now and then where you stand with shards. And one day you will have a full circle :) I rather complete my provinces for expansions than shards.
That's a much better way of looking at it, couldn't agree more! :p

I do also agree that the benefits of the AW's when built should perhaps be a little more generous, but the point there again is that they need levelling up, just like the Great Buildings in Forge of Empires and that needs co-operation and teamwork. I have every confidence that the guys in our fellowship will be great at this, given time.

So, yes, there is room for tweaks and improvements, but overall its a great addition to the game and I look forward to seeing this develop.

Deleted User - 13667

Just completed that AW research.

I think the addition of this ancient wonder hardly makes it interesting for players to keep playing.

Aside from the difficulties to get just a miserable shard, there are chances of failures when inserting, no rune rewards from provinces.

Worst still, these so-call "great" upgrades takes up a lot space since the perks are hardly worthwhile.

Situation seems slightly better for the diamond users. But then at about 200 diamonds for a chance, questionable if this addition is that interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: