• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Version 1.11

DeletedUser1295

So technically you just called my fellowship leader a bad leader for not passing on this info?
I would ask if you brought a shovel, since it seems you are intent on digging that hole deeper and deeper. I can assure you that my mood is far from a joking one at this point.

And your reply is STILL not adressing the actual issue at hand, namely that this change is incredibly bothersome, annoying and is likely to push more people out of the game. I can only assume Inno is thinking that the loss of players will be offset enough by people actually buying Runes with their diamonds.
Is it just that; a business decision? Because at some point these decisions will cause enough upheaval for a massive exodus and then it is all over and done with.
On point 1: As any player I sure appreciate it if a leader would take a minute to pass on important info to the fellows... any leader knowingly witholding relevant information from the fellows is imho indeed a bad leader. It would be like having a tax consultant not telling you how to use legal ways to avoid paying too much tax. Or a mason not using mortar to keep the wall intact.

On point 2: I'm only a volunteer and have no insight into the business plan with regard to Elvenar, so any reply on this coming from me would be guess-work based on my 30+ year experience as an entrepeneur.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser219

I am amazed about the amount of whining that goes on about a FREE GAME!:rolleyes:
Any intelligent player should have seen this coming if they experienced the changes when the MA was introduced.:eek:
Any halfway decent leader should be following the changes in the game, and advisinging the members of his/her fellowship about it. If this didn't happen then the people in your top 10 fellowships are more interested in a score than in an efficient city.:confused:

There was a time when the human race was considered the top of the food chain because of its adaptability. I am beginning to wonder if we are starting to lose ground.:p

Go ahead and flame me. I am adaptable, I can take it. :cool:

DeletedUser718

I am amazed about the amount of whining that goes on about a FREE GAME!:rolleyes:
Any intelligent player should have seen this coming if they experienced the changes when the MA was introduced.:eek:
Any halfway decent leader should be following the changes in the game, and advisinging the members of his/her fellowship about it. If this didn't happen then the people in your top 10 fellowships are more interested in a score than in an efficient city.:confused:

There was a time when the human race was considered the top of the food chain because of its adaptability. I am beginning to wonder if we are starting to lose ground.:p

Go ahead and flame me. I am adaptable, I can take it. :cool:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The way IG are pushing the game it is FAR from free, This last update forces fellows to waste kp's.
Even in a free game it would be nice to choose how one wants to play.

Valnad said it all :)

DeletedUser718

Most leaders of a fellowship read the forum and will pass on relevant information to their fellows - at least that is my in-game experience and also what I expect a good leader would and should do.

Reading the forum, even occasionally e.g. once a week, really gives any player a better overview of current and possible future issues ;)

P.S. Found this post and several other posts on the subject of AW technologies becoming mandatory, but this one really hits the core on AW-research becoming mandatory:

This post as you say covers the mandatory bit, but the fact that they are a dead end with nothing following is the only silver lining!

DeletedUser

Yes, we knew this was coming, but knowing it was coming, does not make it magically NOT incredibly annoying. No one who's advanced as far as dwarves will likely be wanting or able to build all these AW's anyway, and with the orc requirement for negotiating, they will just make the AW they did want nigh on impossible to acquire - not that any of us have any room for them anyway anymore. Why add a bunch of stuff no one is ever going to be able to build? Oh right, we can spend ludicrous amounts of money.

@Horanda Most "free" games including this are the opposite of free, meaning a lot of players spend a lot more than they would on a game they just buy. It's just a marketing ploy as they've discovered they can make a lot more money like this than by just selling people software or a 10 EUR / month subscription. It just means you can play it for free, but you will fail to progress at any reasonable rate compared to people who regularly pay. I'd like to add that the vast majority of people complaining are not saying "I want stuff for free" and many of us actually do pay, or at least did at some point :p

DeletedUser219

@Slotharingia Oh, I am well aware of what the game makers WANT. I am equally determined not to give it to them. And I am delighted that there are people who are willing to pay money for a game that is advertised for free. PT Barnum had a phrase for it, which I won't quote here.

But the fact remains, it is a play for free game. This means that significant resources are not going to be poured into it until they are sure it has a market. When they have that assurance, the game will change.

Guess what people, the game is changing. You may actually have to go back and DESIGN your city instead of going for point value.

DeletedUser

Guess what people, the game is changing. You may actually have to go back and DESIGN your city instead of going for point value.

Or we might just go back to games we buy for 20-40 EUR once, maybe more for some major updates. INNO doesn't care about player retention though, so it's whatever :D

DeletedUser

@Slotharingia

You know what I did. I was planning ahead. That is the point - I have to tear up all my planning and waste time on a pointless excercise that eats resources before I can get back to doing what I was in the middle of doing. That is why I'm annoyed.

BTW the fact that it is free to play presumably means that INNO want to encourage people to come and play. Doing something that actually discourages established players from playing is arrogant and short sighted. In fact I would call it commercial suicide.

Valnad

Spellcaster
@Horanda Admittedly, some posts may be over the top due to being posted in affection, but you simplify the problem. I don't care whether they have in-game currency that you can buy for real money or not, nor am I bothered by the fact that I now have to alter my strategy once more in order to continue with my progress in the game.

What bothers me is the fact that many modern game developers, including InnoGames, sacrifice the essence of their games in order for them to yield larger short-term profits. Elvenar is not a completed nor complicated game, by any means, but it is a slow-progressed game that will require us to invest a lot of time (or a lot of cash) before the game is "finished". Browser games does not require tons of resources to develop and if you already have a large team working with other franchise titles, adding another will not result in the same start-up costs as a new business would. I would expect InnoGames to make enough money from the diamond-buyers to cover the expenses and make a decent profit. These conclusions are based on common sense plus the experience from having been a staff member on one of their other titles.

One can be annoyed about in which direction the game is heading and entitled to that feeling/opinion even without having bought in-game currency. Every player invests their time into the game and without the bulk of the f2p players, the paying customers would not be there either as they would find more popular games where not all of their competitors had the same advantage as their money has bought them in Elvenar.

Now, to end this rather useless clarification, I think it's rational to speak up when a developer is taking their game in a direction which will undoubtedly lead to many players quitting. I have developed games in the past, and there comes a point in a game's life where it is just as much a product of the players collective efforts to build a community and add meta-game material as it is a product of the minds of the people who developed it. Without our input and time, this game would have been something completely different than it is now, and I daresay worse too.

So if it tickles your brain that players decide to visit the official feedback (read: whining) thread dedicated to the most reason of the most unpopular in-game updates in order to make silly rants that no one from the management will even bother reading, well, then I guess we both have good reason to go elsewhere.

Valnad

Spellcaster
Really? You have some sort of data to back this inane assertion up? How many people actually use the forum? How many play the game?

I would like to challenge that statement as well.

In fact, I doubt that most leaders even have their own forum accounts and that a majority of those who do are not using them freqently. This game does not promote the forum very well, at least not if it is supposed to be the primary source of information about upcoming changes. You have an in-game notification system that could and should be used for important information, updates etc. Most other games work that way, including InnoGames titles.

Never assume the customer to do the leg work for you. If a customer tells you that the information being provided that is needed in order to properly use your product is insufficient in some way, you're usually better off re-designing it or at the very least simplifying the information that is available and make that information more easily obtainable.

DeletedUser315

I agree with all of the above.
Fore-warned is not fore-told!!!!!
In my experience a business who ignores the wishes of its clients are short lived
Thanks for telling me I'm a Bad Archmage, sure my fellowship would agree this was not my doing

DeletedUser

I think that the forum is an underutilized resource that is used on a regular basis by only a small fraction of the players. It is a free resource, like the wiki, and it is up to the individual on whether or not it is worth their time or not.

Players should realize this is an under development game and things are going to change as the game is updated and expanded with new content. If you don't want to be surprised I would suggest checking both regularly. Honestly, if you want to be informed you should really check out the release notes on the beta server as you will get an idea of what is coming usually two weeks in advance. Really just checking the release notes there is probably the best advice I would suggest if you don't like surprises.

Not surprised you have to research the AW's. Everything is pretty much required except for a couple of Squad Size and Province Expansion techs anyway. Space is not really an issue as you do not have to build any of them if you don't want to. It is up to you on this point.

I just wish they would go back and fix the older bugs ( Disappearing Armies, Building Upgrades not crediting for quests, All buildings being in the corner on neighbor visits, etc. )

firerock

Enchanter
that'll never happen, the core technology that the game uses is not optimised and causes IE to leak memory. once it uses up all its available memory Ie crashes, and the game will lag horribly, forcing you to clear the cachet o make it playable again. this has been going on in one form or another since day dot. So Its clearly something integral to the development which is why they haven't fixed it. Without available memory images wont load. This really should have been fixed months ago, but I check yesterday in the error forum, most people stopped complaining about and were closed down and refilled into unable to replicate (which makes me laugh(sort of!)).

I'll have to try that with our clients when they get something that causes the system to crash, we cant replicate it so we're closing it down hehehe!!

It really annoyed me with the Orcs thing in negotiating, and if we don't hear that this is being scrapped shortly, I'll sell or my buildings and quit.
Whoever thought up this chapter wants to be removed from any planning of this game ever again!

Mrs cactusbob

Adventurer
My fellowship are livid that they have to stop the current research they were doing to go back and complete ancient wonders. It would have been nice to have some warning of this particular change.

DeletedUser1925

I just love it! To throw 55 KP/hours for nothing. I'll never use those two AW.

Anyone from /admins/mods wants free KPs in their AWsomes? Like Thrones of Thight men?

... I guess no point for us to research anything... since we are forced to research everything.....

free game , no.

Language?

Edit: Zanyah - 2016-08-04 - deleted insulting/offensive phrasings.

DeletedUser1265

So technically you just called my fellowship leader a bad leader for not passing on this info?

And apparently I am a really poor Archmage because I missed that post and neglected to inform my fellows - potentially because I have been dealing with real life and didn't log on as much as usual.

As an aside, my 11year old son is upset with this update and wanting to pack it in, as he was 4kp away from unlocking an expansion so he could start the Dwarves, now he is forced to research irrelevant AW's ... does that make me a bad mother too? He is my only reason for still playing - so I may monitor his online activity, if he resigns I throw in the towel and cut my losses (aka diamonds bought) and move on to the old reliables on Steam.

Granted I am being melodramatic, but Z's response has officially gotten my nose out of joint.

DeletedUser1265

I think this is related to tournaments?

It is about the summer solstice event that has just been released on Beta. InnoTV's August episode on YouTube has some more information on this - and I think there is a post about it on the forum somewhere. I will see if I can find the link for you and edit it in here.

Edited... here is the link