• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Research Develop 2 paths through the research section

DeletedUser1857

Below is a copy of a note I sent to Admin. They seemed to think it was a good idea, but wanted me to put it up here for comments from other players. so here it is.

Hi Admin,
I've just got a suggestion for the developers.
I'm really not into the fighting part of this game and usually decline the fighting quests. I hate spending my KP points on building bigger squads and upgraded military when I never use them. I prefer to negotiate and trade whenever possible.
My suggestion is this - Would it be possible to develop 2 paths through the research section, e;g; Warrior's Path and Trader's Path?? Allowing players to choose which path they wish to follow at sign-up. That way players could advance faster on their chosen path, and not have to waste precious KP points on research items they're never going to use. Perhaps an option to go back later in the game and complete the other path?
As it stands, I have no choice in the matter. I have to complete military research in order to advance through the research menu. :(
Just a thought. :)
I do play in both worlds and am enjoying the game immensely.
Thanks
Mistress T (Treeza)

damon

Adventurer
We have members who are "farmers" and they usually keep the fellowship good.
In my humble opinion a two tier research tree would cause more confusion.

DeletedUser

We have members who are "farmers" and they usually keep the fellowship good.
In my humble opinion a two tier research tree would cause more confusion.

Well... you could have a "switch" so you only see one tier, as you are one or the other. Perhaps only allow switching at the end of each chapter, to make it easier to program?

DeletedUser1657

What if someone starts, say, warriors path and later on wants to change to trader or vice versa? Would this choice between two make changing path later in the game impossible, or would this double up the amount of work needed since decision to change paths would mean researching both paths?

DeletedUser1857

What if someone starts, say, warriors path and later on wants to change to trader or vice versa? Would this choice between two make changing path later in the game impossible, or would this double up the amount of work needed since decision to change paths would mean researching both paths?
Well, the way I see it, we're having to do both now anyway. So I thought it would mean being able to complete your chosen path through the tech tree quicker. Then if you decide to change paths, it's no big deal as 1/2 the work is already done. My idea is that all the necessary components, such as Superior Halls, Residences and Workshops, along with Ancient Wonders, Expansion, etc, would still be completed in either path.
But if you took the Trader's path for example, you wouldn't have to do things like Promoting Bowmen, Superior Barracks or Squad Size Upgrades, etc. Which if you're not using them, chew up precious Knowledge Points.
Maybe we could have a Trader upgrade to make it cheaper when buying from the wholesaler for example.

DeletedUser487

Would it be possible to develop 2 paths through the research section, e;g; Warrior's Path and Trader's Path?

Yes I agree with this, as the game does state you have these two options. Plus when you start the game you choose to research the barracks or the first manufactories, which would indicate you can choose how you want to play. Would be awesome if there were trader specific perks or military specific perks which could be researched according to your chosen path :D

DeletedUser

This would include Inno allowing you to choose what you wanted to research, this is currently VERY far from their plan. Hopefully something like this would let them loosen the reins a bit and allow more flexibility in other things.

DeletedUser1993

Having to spend precious KP's on tech tree for things such as unlocking unboosted goods is a right royal pain, spending KP's on things you will never use slows down this game and it seems to me the game slows us down enough as it is. It needs Fellowship Tournaments instead of personal tournaments, Fellowship point system that unlocks boosts applicable to it's members etc. Currently there are many meaningless parts of this game, even Fellowships, apart from chatting and further aiding / trading ability, they are really pointless. Where is this game going, I'm starting to lose interest after progressing so far and spending real money .. if only I could turn back time I would have just stuck to playing Forge of Empires.

DeletedUser2395

I agree that the current format is frustrating. My suggested solution, which I think would make it easier for developers to implement as well, is to simply change existing research items that have only one purpose (i.e. military) to become dual purpose. For example, currently there are research tasks that enable you to build certain cultural buildings. Once researched, you choose to build one or more, or none, of these items. So if research of the banshee were changed to research of the banshee/sous chef/entertainer, etc. then researching that task releases all of these options. That means the player can choose to follow the theme they prefer (fighting/catering/trading, etc.) and all research tasks will become useful to all players. If you want to change paths you can without any problem. This means that the structure of the research tree does not have to change. As a bonus, the catering/entertaining/trading path becomes better integrated into the overall theme instead of being just an add-on token option in completing provinces.

DeletedUser2395

Oh, and the same goes for the purpose of mandatory buildings such as the barracks, which could become chef/entertainer training, etc. in addition to training of military. That way, those of us who don't like the fighting path don't feel resentful of the space being taken up by buildings we don't want to use.