• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Research Make it easier for late comers

DeletedUser487

@kenar, I do hope you continue playing the game and that you enjoy it. Take on board what has been mentioned here. My advice would be to use your current city as a test run, then when a new world opens up, you can use what you've learned to do better next time.

DeletedUser971

Give it a month or so and you will see what the mod is trying to tell you.

DeletedUser487

unrequested advice about the game

I do think a little more appreciation for those who have taken the time to engage in this topic with you would not be a bad thing... Your post is about not being as far ahead as others in terms of research and (what you call) a limitation in terms of KP. As players who have progressed further than yourself, it's only natural that we would offer advice which backs up what we are saying.

DeletedUser

I could never outrank someone without spending more money, more time, and/or play smarter.
The Achievers, who enjoy chasing points, will drop back rather quickly if they taper off.
  • The EXPERIENCED players are going to reach the END of their tech tree every few months, but you'll keep right on trucking.
  • The EXPERIENCED players are going to come charging out of the gate whenever a new world, or a new technology, is released.
    The "noobs" will be left in the dust simply because they don't understand the game as well.

DeletedUser1265

P.S. One could of course buy Diamonds to acquire KP ... but imho diamonds can be invested in far better ways by those willing to spend money on buying them ;)

I agree, and with that I bow out of this one for now :)
Have a great evening everyone.

DeletedUser

My advice would be to use your current city as a test run, then when a new world opens up, you can use what you've learned to do better next time.

Will a new world open up? Is there any information about that?

I do think a little more appreciation for those who have taken the time to engage in this topic with you would not be a bad thing... Your post is about not being as far ahead as others in terms of research and (what you call) a limitation in terms of KP. As players who have progressed further than yourself, it's only natural that we would offer advice which backs up what we are saying.

Would you start over with a new account? Apparently you and Weirdsister think it's fun. Your extensive experience should also help you...

I said "unrequested advice" because I didn't post this under Discussions - "Help me, I don't know how to play" but under Suggestions. I didn't offer a specific fix to the issue because
1. the game designers need to accept that this a big problem, and
2. they need to actually want to do something about it.
There are various creative ways to address it, but they're beside the point if the two conditions above are not met.

DeletedUser487

Will a new world open up? Is there any information about that?
I couldn't possible tell you if a new world will be opening up, but if the US servers are anything to go by, there are 5 game worlds there. Hopefully a new one will open up though as I'd like a fresh start on a new game world.

Would you start over with a new account? Apparently you and Weirdsister think it's fun.
I have started an account on the US server which I don't use now as I am concentrating on my city here. However, I did not enter those game worlds thinking that I was disadvantaged in any way due to a late start. In my eyes, it would not be fair for someone to start on a world nine or so months after it went live getting extra KP. As I said earlier, the game is designed to be played at a pace to suit the player; you cannot expect to progress faster just because you started later. You don't buy a video game which has been out for a while and expect to to progress through it faster just because you didn't buy it when it was released. The same applies here.

To answer your question, I wouldn't make a new account now as I have progressed well enough in this one now to keep me occupied and challenged. Just because you are not at the same stage as the top 100 players shouldn't mean the fun is taken out of the game. See it as a challenge to see how quickly you can progress having started later on.

I said "unrequested advice" because I didn't post this under Discussions
No one is saying you don't know how to play, but you cannot deny that you said you were a new player who started the game 10 days ago. You posted in a forum which is open to the public and to anyone to comment on. By saying it the way you did, it came across as quite rude as we have taken the time to offer our opinions and guidance on the matter.

All of this is my opinion and may be interpreted however you wish, but I don't think your suggestion will be implemented, as I don't think you can be given special privileges for starting the game later. It's unfortunate you have discovered it so late, as it is a really great game, but that's just the way of it I'm afraid.

DeletedUser1295

I've started playing about 10 days ago. It's a nice game, I especially love the battles. My villagers are happy, the resources are plentiful. The only thing limiting my progress is research. I'm not going to pay €3000 to buy the knowledge points those who started a year ago received for free. Please make it easier for me to catch up with them. (I might pay, but not like that; and I'm not going to pay at all if I don't have any chance of caching up to top 100 players.)

Hello Kenar, It seems you did not fully understand my previous post, so I will clarify it a bit more for you:
Your presupposition that those who started a year ago received Knowledge Points for free is not accurate, therefore your suggestion is based on quicksand, not facts.

As any other (ambitious) player, you will need to put in a considerable amount of time and effort to reach the top 100, you cannot get there by just throwing around a lot of money. Many top 100 players in Elvenar did become high-ranking not by spending money, but by playing the game strategically, trading well, spending a lot of time, and last but not least with the support of their Fellowship.

DeletedUser

Hello Kenar, It seems you did not fully understand my previous post, so I will clarify it a bit more for you:
Your presupposition that those who started a year ago received Knowledge Points for free is not accurate, therefore your suggestion is based on quicksand, not facts.

To me, it seems you can't think clearly. And the really scary part is that you're a moderator.
OK, let me put it like this: Any player who doesn't play completely silly receives 24 knowledge points every day, for free. And those who are in the top 1000 didn't play completely silly, so at least them received the hourly knowledge points for free.

DeletedUser487

@kenar, that doesn't mean you are to be backdated. They received those as part of the game for logging in and playing regularly. You will get the same but you can't expect to get extra since you have started late.

DeletedUser1295

To me, it seems you can't think clearly. And the really scary part is that you're a moderator.
OK, let me put it like this: Any player who doesn't play completely silly receives 24 knowledge points every day, for free. And those who are in the top 1000 didn't play completely silly, so at least them received the hourly knowledge points for free.

Sigh...
Yes, indeed it is late. I do not see however how this would make me scary or how that should muddle my brain :p

Any player that actually plays the game gets 1 KP per hour to spend at their leisure. When not logging in to the game any player might lose some of those hourly rewarded KP's. This hourly awarded 'free' KP is only available for a certain amount of time, 10 hours being the maximum (the KP bar can hold 10 KP max.). Anyone logging in after this maximum time period might lose 1 or more KP.

These KP are not really 'free', they are an award for being active in the game.

DeletedUser

I've started playing about 10 days ago. It's a nice game, I especially love the battles. My villagers are happy, the resources are plentiful. The only thing limiting my progress is research. I'm not going to pay €3000 to buy the knowledge points those who started a year ago received for free. Please make it easier for me to catch up with them. (I might pay, but not like that; and I'm not going to pay at all if I don't have any chance of caching up to top 100 players.)
Somehow, you're failing to understand anything. I could never outrank someone without spending more money, more time, and/or play smarter.

I didn't fail to understand anything. You requested backdated KP, so you could get ahead faster than people who started earlier. Thus, you could get ahead of someone without spending more money/time and/or playing smarter, as you have access to a limiting resource that others do not.

As you can see from all the replies, there was an outcry. Huh. Who would have predicted that? ;-p

DeletedUser

Sigh...
Yes, indeed it is late. I do not see however how this would make me scary or how that should muddle my brain :p

Well, angry moderators ban people or at least lock up threads. It's a lot more than what the angry mob can do.

Any player that actually plays the game gets 1 KP per hour to spend at their leisure. When not logging in to the game any player might lose some of those hourly rewarded KP's. This hourly awarded 'free' KP is only available for a certain amount of time, 10 hours being the maximum (the KP bar can hold 10 KP max.). Anyone logging in after this maximum time period might lose 1 or more KP.

These KP are not really 'free', they are an award for being active in the game.

Yes... I was talking about people playing the game, while you're calling them active players. The same thing. They could receive 24 free knowledge points per day, and most of them did in fact receive them. It's a lot harder to catch up with them by starting now. And it's impossible to catch up with those who also played well. But you, and occasionally individuals from the angry mob, don't seem to understand, or forget, or like to forget, that the main difficulty (by far!) in catching up are those 24 * 360 KPs. No amount of "playing the game strategically, trading well, spending a lot of time, and [...] support of their Fellowship" is going to come close to "playing the game strategically, trading well, spending a lot of time, and [...] support of their Fellowship" + 24 * 360 KPs. That is, with the current game mechanics.

DeletedUser

Well, angry moderators ban people or at least lock up threads. It's a lot more than what the angry mob can do.

Yes... I was talking about people playing the game, while you're calling them active players. The same thing. They could receive 24 free knowledge points per day, and most of them did in fact receive them. It's a lot harder to catch up with them by starting now. And it's impossible to catch up with those who also played well. But you, and occasionally individuals from the angry mob, don't seem to understand, or forget, or like to forget, that the main difficulty (by far!) in catching up are those 24 * 360 KPs. No amount of "playing the game strategically, trading well, spending a lot of time, and [...] support of their Fellowship" is going to come close to "playing the game strategically, trading well, spending a lot of time, and [...] support of their Fellowship" + 24 * 360 KPs. That is, with the current game mechanics.

Is this what I sound like when I take one point of a discussion and beat it to death while ignoring other related information??

• How do you know KP's are the bottleneck? What about resources/culture/people? Show me some math?
  • You don't need to resort to insults and inflammatory statements.
  • Why don't you think the new AW will go part way to what you are asking?
  • Why are you stuck on KP's? What about getting manufactured goods for free too? You need them to build stuff, no matter how many KP's you have
  • Wouldn't it be better to have a "boost" of some sort on everything, that tails away, rather than just KP's?
EDITED for typos

DeletedUser

• Why don't you think the new AW will go part way to what you are asking?
I don't know, would they? I've only read about one such thing, the Tome of Secrets and I don't know how much KP it would provide.

DeletedUser1265

Would you start over with a new account? Apparently you and Weirdsister think it's fun. Your extensive experience should also help you.

Yip, I have another city on another server at Arendyll. So, I have one human city and one elven city. Ironically I am ranked #485 with a similar point score, which is the other reason your suggestion lacks merit.

And if another world opens up I will play there too, especially since I will have the time considering how long it take to build/scout/upgrade anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's a lot harder to catch up with them by starting now.
  1. Let's assume that equal effort should yield equal similar results
  2. Folks who start NOW have the distinct advantage of improved technologies and the body of knowledge in the wiki and the forums
  3. Therefore - if there's any adjustment at all, the newer folks should get a Cultural PENALTY, so that they will be competing on an EQUAL basis with the folks who paved the way.
In point of fact, it's a lot EASIER to catch up with them by starting now.

DeletedUser1265

n point of fact, it's a lot EASIER to catch up with them by starting now.

Agreed, especially those players that repeatedly reach the end of the knowledge tree waiting for the next race to be released, that is fantastic catch up time.

DeletedUser

Yip, I have another city on another server at Arendyll. So, I have one human city and one elven city. Ironically I am ranked #485 with a similar point score, which is the other reason your suggestion lacks merit.

And if another world opens up I will play there too, especially since I will have the time considering how long it take to build/scout/upgrade anything.
I'm not sure how you understood the question, but it was if you wanted to start in this world, now.

DeletedUser1265

I wouldn't restart in the same world, that is pointless. But I would start from scratch elsewhere.