• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Version 1.5 - Tournaments!

DeletedUser649

The tournament is just a useful way of getting a few extra KP and some minor prizes (100 points for the winner is almost insulting) for us, and a thinly disguised attempt to get more revenue from those few of us who are prepared to make a go of this game.
More effort should be made by the devs to encourage newbies to stay with the game rather than trying to get us to cover their declining revenue.

DeletedUser415

The tournament is just a useful way of getting a few extra KP and some minor prizes (100 points for the winner is almost insulting) for us, and a thinly disguised attempt to get more revenue from those few of us who are prepared to make a go of this game.
More effort should be made by the devs to encourage newbies to stay with the game rather than trying to get us to cover their declining revenue.

They already announced in beta. Rank points are being increased 10x. So 1st place gets 1000 rank points.
It's a work in progress, they are trying to improve it.

DeletedUser

why the cooling down time in between level of tournaments. It is not useful.

It is consistent with other decisions. The devs would prefer you to play the way they envisioned, rather than give you choice. You could also ask why there is no difference in tournaments for people without active neighbours. I have one active neighbour, who is ranked in the 70's. So I might as well have none, I can't beat them and we don't get enough points to get a reward. <shrug>
I am ok with it being free-to-play and pay-to-win, just a little disappointed that the tournaments are both totally biased to those that pay and totally unfair for those without neighbours.

DeletedUser

I am ok with it being free-to-play and pay-to-win, just a little disappointed that the tournaments are both totally biased to those that pay and totally unfair for those without neighbours.

Indeed. Pay to Win can be expected on "free" games as otherwise, no one would pay to play, but major imbalances based on luck (such as active neighbours or finding the right runes shards) are really terrible game design and should be fixed asap.

DeletedUser

Indeed. Pay to Win can be expected on "free" games as otherwise, no one would pay to play, but major imbalances based on luck (such as active neighbours or finding the right runes shards) are really terrible game design and should be fixed asap.

There are a bunch of games that you WANT to pay for things that are not strictly pay-to-win. I wouldn't classify a builder as P2W and there is ample opportunity to allow people to gain faster, rather than "win" unfairly. The trick is in giving the player something they can KEEP, without unbalancing the game. Buying extra space is an example, these tournaments are not (besides being extremely unfair based on luck)

DeletedUser

Another "constructive comment".
In the tournament info box (the one pointed out above, funny tent on the map page) could the time be included to how much longer until the next tournament is available? You can't click the "locator" button and it doesn't tell you the time, so you need to go out into the map, mess around until you find the right one (you SURE it is the right one??)
Probably help the pay-to-win types too, lets them figure out which tournaments they want to focus on etc.

DeletedUser

There are a bunch of games that you WANT to pay for things that are not strictly pay-to-win. I wouldn't classify a builder as P2W and there is ample opportunity to allow people to gain faster, rather than "win" unfairly. The trick is in giving the player something they can KEEP, without unbalancing the game. Buying extra space is an example, these tournaments are not (besides being extremely unfair based on luck)

Agree, but a lot of ppl buy those things and as long as they do, ppl who think it's not a worthwhile thing to invest money in have no leg to stand on. Elvenar is actually softcore on the money trap front. I've seen games that encourage gambling behaviour in (mostly under 18) players to such an extent I felt immoral by implication just being a player. Personally, I'd rather pay 10 $ or whatever a month and be done with it than struggle with the impulse to buy something I do not want to buy, just to keep up with the flow :p

DeletedUser187

The latest offer to buy `troops` just proves that this tournament is just a money grabbing exercise. Those who `buy to win` will hover it up, making it harder for the rest of us.
I will take no further part in this `con`.
My second tournament is for a non-boosted produce, so totally useless to me.

DeletedUser

My second tournament is for a non-boosted produce, so totally useless to me.
Ummm - several folks have TONS of boosted goods, and are already capped at 700% on their Relics. For them the logic is flipped.
  • Once you reach 700% then your boosted Relics aren't any different than any other relic.
  • If Catering will help you clear out some of your excess inventory, that's "cheaper" than training more troops.

DeletedUser

Agree, but a lot of ppl buy those things and as long as they do, ppl who think it's not a worthwhile thing to invest money in have no leg to stand on. Elvenar is actually softcore on the money trap front. I've seen games that encourage gambling behaviour in (mostly under 18) players to such an extent I felt immoral by implication just being a player. Personally, I'd rather pay 10 $ or whatever a month and be done with it than struggle with the impulse to buy something I do not want to buy, just to keep up with the flow :p

Have you seen the new offer?

DeletedUser1353

Is there a limit for KP gained from tournaments? One would think that the rewards would get better as you get to higher levels of the tournament, but here's the reward I would get from completing a lvl 5 tournament:
U9oSFmy.png

It's the same for the other 3 tournaments i reached lvl 5 with. >< Where are the KP's?!

DeletedUser114

In my honest opinion unless the tournament is one of your boosted goods they are a waste of time...even then the runes that are given are ones that I have already built so are useless, plus today's were only shards and no KP what a load of rubbish.

Is there anymore news about the neighbors problem as this isn't helping ?

DeletedUser780

Can someone clarify a point for me please?
The tournament 'tent' icon - when I open the window and select the padlock to see the player rankings, if a player has approx 1500 less tournament points than me, but is ranked 1 and I am ranked 2 - is this because they have spent diamonds to 'fast track' the tournament?

Sorry if this should be in Questions, but it is specific to Tournament.

DeletedUser1877

well, this was a BIG bummer... I played all levels from the tournament, and my reward was... some useless (non-boosted) relics and ???rankingpoints??......how is that a reward....??

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Is there a limit for KP gained from tournaments? One would think that the rewards would get better as you get to higher levels of the tournament, but here's the reward I would get from completing a lvl 5 tournament:
U9oSFmy.png

It's the same for the other 3 tournaments i reached lvl 5 with. >< Where are the KP's?!
the KP return at the 4th tournament 6kp.
6th level provinces only reward tournament points and runes, no KP or relics.

well, this was a BIG bummer... I played all levels from the tournament, and my reward was... some useless (non-boosted) relics and ???rankingpoints??......how is that a reward....??

Those points can reward permanent ranking points in case you reacht the best 100 players of the week.
Also each week the tournament changes to a different type of relic, it makes total sense that you wont get marble relics in a silk provincie but silk relics. nezt week it's the elixer tournament and it will reward elixer relics.

DeletedUser1877

Those points can reward permanent ranking points in case you reacht the best 100 players of the week.
[/QUOTE]
And explain to me what they do for me, except getting me higher on a list that i don't care about? who cares if they are 4th 27th or 99th or even 24875th place? i invested numerous troops and goods, and got not a single USEFULL thing in return... usefull would be a shard (of a building i am still collecting shards for) or a knowledge-point, or even coins... but getting higher on a list is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !

Deleted User - 13667

It is consistent with other decisions. The devs would prefer you to play the way they envisioned, rather than give you choice. You could also ask why there is no difference in tournaments for people without active neighbours. I have one active neighbour, who is ranked in the 70's. So I might as well have none, I can't beat them and we don't get enough points to get a reward. <shrug>
you can get a reward even if you are a 1-man neighbor. I did :D The points are enough to get you at least 1-2 treasure chests if you do it solo

Deleted User - 13667

And explain to me what they do for me, except getting me higher on a list that i don't care about? who cares if they are 4th 27th or 99th or even 24875th place? i invested numerous troops and goods, and got not a single USEFULL thing in return... usefull would be a shard (of a building i am still collecting shards for) or a knowledge-point, or even coins... but getting higher on a list is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ![/QUOTE]
Shards are given as rewards past level 2 in the tournament. But its pretty random so you might still get something you dislike

DeletedUser

but getting higher on a list is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !
I'm a bit baffled. How is getting more ranking points any different than piling up more Relics/Rune Shards/Knowledge Points/etc.

I'm FAR more interested in how things work, and in finding the strategic saddle points, but at the end of the day you're playing for your own satisfaction. It's sort of up to you to determine exactly what scratches your itchy spot.

It's been a while since we've discussed the Achiever/Explorer/Socializer/Killer (Control Freak) playing styles.
http://mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm is a good read if you're seriously interested in the Why's of gaming.