• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Forced to build Magic Academy ?!?!?

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Sorry Katwijk, nice posts about stuff related to the MA, but none of them convinced me to build it.

I like to advise you once again to read this post.

I am in no desperate need to get more hammers, coins or goods, therefore it doesnt brerak any game boundry for me, so it's 100% worthless to me, you can grant me a trillion relics and it still will be useless.

DeletedUser

I dislike the academy and find the way it functions stupid in ways I have elaborated upon multiple times and I cannot imagine changing my opinion any time soon, BUT the devs are not going to remove it, and that is obvious. I have a similarly low opinion of the AW. Lots of people quit because of dwarves and the MA, but clearly overall, they are making more money since implementing it because it forces people to buy expansions. Clearly the number of people buying gems as a result have generated more profit than they have lost overall from people quitting. "Free" games need to generate revenue to remain online, hence the devs will make choices that increase their revenue, even if it annoys some players. As long as the player numbers remain at least reasonably stable and revenue increases, they won't change designs intended to increase their revenue, and that's quite clearly the intention behind the MA.

To go back to carrot's fried chicken analogy: A fried chicken shop offers free coffee and has a lot of customers, both paying and not paying. One day, they decide to make the coffee only free if you buy at least one item of food or a drink that costs money. A lot of people complain, they lose paying customers, but overall, they make more money than before. Why would they change back to free coffee for everyone? I realise this is not a bullet proof comparison since you can still play elvenar without spending money, and some will argue it's easier to play with the MA and no money, but my point is simply that while they acknowledge people are not happy about the MA, they have also obviously found that it increases revenue and hence will not remove it because tons of micro transactions are still more lucrative than a few larger ones from people who RQ because of the academy.

DeletedUser

some will argue it's easier to play with the MA and no money
Most of the current spells would tend to REDUCE the impulse to buy diamonds, when someone is struggling with a bottleneck, which is sort of the opposite of your argument.

I don't think that fiddling with spells is ever going to be of much interest to the folks who are plan driven, but if someone is taking time to smell the roses anyway, I can well imagine that the spells could ease their way. So to my way of thinking the spells are just snack food.

DeletedUser

Hey S5carrot, remember when you said this about the MA?

Truly insightful, shogun69.

The absent presence of the building in most players' province speak much of its usefulness other than taking up space

For clarity, this quote is from the dwarven wonders discussion.

<awkward>

DeletedUser

Most of the current spells would tend to REDUCE the impulse to buy diamonds, when someone is struggling with a bottleneck, which is sort of the opposite of your argument.

Erm no, the type of people who buy diamonds due to bottle necks, are the types that buy them anyway. The MA is an attempt to bait people who who do not buy diamonds or do not buy them often, as most people simply cannot easily integrate a building that size in their cities, hence so many complaints as to its size. You won't even be caring about your bottleneck if you have no space to do anything once you got out of it.It makes no sense to insist the devs would force a feature many people complain about upon everyone out of pure benevolence so as to stop people buying diamonds to advance in the tech tree. :D

DeletedUser

The Magic Academy is part of a triple: Tournaments, Magic Academy, Ancient Wonders
  • Tournaments will generate Relics, Rune Shards, and Knowledge Points
  • Ancient Wonders will consume Relics, Rune Shards, and Knowledge Points, and will provide general buffs
  • The Magic Academy will consume Relics, and will provide SPECIFIC buffs (spells)
  • Those buffs will allow you to be more effective in your Tournaments.
Plowing through the Tech Tree is a one time thing and, while it's interesting in it's own right, there will always be a brick wall at the end of the current final chapter.

The Relics Triple is UNLIMITED. It can soak up however much time you have to spare. As such you're either going to have Relics that you can't consume, without a Magic Academy, OR you're going to have a Spell or three that you simply can't resist, and you'll end up building a Magic Academy.

It's as inevitable as death and taxes, so it makes a LOT of sense to present the Magic Academy as a mandatory building, even though it's only the second piece of the triple.

Would you build a Magic Academy if you could cast Fireballs??

View attachment 1414
I get that the devs have created this magic triangle of relic use that you describe. And that sounds like it might be useful.

BUT it is NOT useful to me when I am not even half way to triple figures in my relic numbers and have zero need to use them up before they cap.

It seems that pretty much all of the arguments for keeping the MA non-deletable are based in future options, end-game abilities or far-reaching knowledge tree unlocks. To my view then, the answer is simple: put the Magic Academy quests MUCH farther through the game progress and leave us newbies & casuals to keep our 5x5 space free for the constant city development we have to deal with as we learn to play and expand.

Deleted User - 13667

Yep. definitely oldskoolrx7.

To add to my analogy: if you do not like fried chicken with coffee, then order something else. It does not mean you have to hate the chicken shop.

Truly even at this point of time I see no reason to build the MA even though I have lots of spaces for it. But no, I am not putting down the developers' efforts or intentions of this building. It is still way too costly to spend hard fought relics for a tiny temporary boost.

Simply demanding the shop owner to change the recipe just cause you do not like it does not mean it is a failure. A more real life example: take mcdonalds. Not so hot in the western hemisphere but oddly popular in quite a few Asian countries.

Just because you do not like it and have been voicing your discontent means everyone else hates it too.

I had my moments on the AW too. The overall is more beneficial after some adjustments but still much more can be done to make the buildings more worthwhile, the enhanced time for culture is insanely long in my opinion. (A +70% on a temple of holy fire could boost the culture for almost 24hours.) But the health boost is really kinda weak. why cant weaker units be given a stronger health boost and elite units be given less? It would help in evening the odds against the swarm of AI units in battles

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Back tot the chicken shop, the chickenshop is the only location in the village you are allowed to eat, and no other place is allowed to be established. so competition is out of the question, the only thing I can do is leave the town itself.

Now this owner knows you really dislike coffee, but tells you you are only allowed to eat his fried chicken after consuming the coffee as well, can I hate him now?

DeletedUser

Just a random update on my MA's which I built in both my elven and human towns. Initially I had them running producing spells constantly, but as I do not use them, they now sit there doing nothing. I see no point in making spells I do not intend to use, when possibly the relics might be required for more useful spells in future. I cannot log on like clockwork. so boosting my manufactories or workshops with a spell will get me a bonus on one building twice max, mostly only once. The culture spells do not bring me to the next culture level even when I enchant all my culture buildings. IDK why anyone would feel they have to inform me I actually need this building when currently I personally quite evidently do not need it. I've faced the fact I am stuck with the fat monsters, but I neither need nor like them at this time, nor will I unless the way the spells function changes (= permanent boosts or x cycles as opposed to time).

Edited to change rune shards to relics as I clearly suffered from brain fart on writing the post originally :p TY to @Katwijk for noticing.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I've faced the fact I am stuck with the fat monsters, but I neither need nor like them at this time, nor will I unless the way the spells function changes (= permanent boosts or x cycles as opposed to time).

Another good suggestion "x cycles compared to time".

Doesn't make the MA worthwhile, but is something to MAYBE make us less annoyed at it..

DeletedUser1353

If they only care about their $$$ income then i have a good (although evil) suggestion. They could make the MA/barracks etc deletable for a diamond fee.

DeletedUser

If they only care about their $$$ income then i have a good (although evil) suggestion. They could make the MA/barracks etc deletable for a diamond fee.

Huh. Turns out it IS possible to hate and love someone at the same time...

Deleted User - 13667

Well.. it is how businesses are being run.

Some buy you, some do not. You have to move on.

But yes, fried chicken with coffee does taste kinda awkward. I think fried chicken goes well with flat beer, some popcorn, cheese fries & stuff :D

Anyway, there are lots annoying little details here and there in the game. Do not sweat the small stuff. Unless they forced it to be mandatorial. Like that bunch of non-nonsensical quests

DeletedUser1678

I now just refuse to build the MA on principle, I don't need quests that bad. In the same way I don't build AWs. This game only has my presence due to the people in my fs's. Diamond buying is out now. The arguments about tournaments and relics is irrelevant if you have no need for them.

DeletedUser1683

I now just refuse to build the MA on principle, I don't need quests that bad. In the same way I don't build AWs. This game only has my presence due to the people in my fs's. Diamond buying is out now. The arguments about tournaments and relics is irrelevant if you have no need for them.

I agree 100%.

• Mandatory MA.
  • Ignoring the feedback when Inno requested it.
  • Lack of effective support or moderation.
Innogames seem to have missed the point of gaming. It is to have FUN. And while they are determined to undermine the player experience, FUN is going to be hard to find.

Sadly, the MA will be seen as the beginning of the end for Elvenar.

Edit: Wow, my post makes nearly a day without being Edited or deleted by a moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1739

new spell coming....

from beta
A new Spell, Inspiring Meditation, is available for those who have unlocked the Magical Inspirations (previously: Manufactory Spell) technology in the third Chapter in the research tree. With this new Spell you will be able to temporarily double the amount of hourly Knowledge Points you can store, so that you do not lose Knowledge Points when you cannot be there for longer than 10 hours. The new maximum amount of Knowledge Points you can collect this way is 20, and the Spell will be active for 2 days.

to be honest this isn't bad at all ,at least for me since I am losing 8 to 10 KP daily cause I am not able to login....

opinions?

DeletedUser

new spell coming....

from beta
A new Spell, Inspiring Meditation, is available for those who have unlocked the Magical Inspirations (previously: Manufactory Spell) technology in the third Chapter in the research tree. With this new Spell you will be able to temporarily double the amount of hourly Knowledge Points you can store, so that you do not lose Knowledge Points when you cannot be there for longer than 10 hours. The new maximum amount of Knowledge Points you can collect this way is 20, and the Spell will be active for 2 days.

to be honest this isn't bad at all ,at least for me since I am losing 8 to 10 KP daily cause I am not able to login....

opinions?

Does it cost a limited resource? (NOT including *tournaments...)
If so... Meh.

*Tournaments are for end game, not people working their way up, so spending armies in tournaments is self defeating, when you could gain the same (or more) from completing provinces AND gain relics.

DeletedUser

Tournaments are for end game, not people working their way up
That pretty much depends how much of a hurry you're in. Once you've acquired ENOUGH sectors to open the next Advance Scouting chest, it's sort of crazy to more on scouting than need be. At that point it makes total sense to do Tournaments while you're wait for the 25% cost reduction, and larger squad sizes, that will be available in the subsequent chapter.