• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

What is the long-term goal of a competitive Tourney/Spire player?

Sir Derf

Adept
I'm playing the game with the gradual goal of progressing through all Chapters. I'm nearly done with Chapter 17. I Tourney and Spire, they're helpful in my progress, but I'm not currently emphasizing maximal effort in those areas. If ever I reach the end, I might look to work out a more efficient city for those purposes, working within the limitations of what my city has become at that point (Late Chapter, many expansions, etc.)

I understand that there are people who play to maximize Tourney/Spire. And that the current strategy for that is to operate with a small, early city. My question - Why? What do you get our of this? What do you do with your city over time? Where are you heading?

This is not meant as an argument against this approach to the game. I'm really curious.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I understand that there are people who play to maximize Tourney/Spire. And that the current strategy for that is to operate with a small, early city. My question - Why? What do you get our of this? What do you do with your city over time? Where are you heading?
It's not their only city. Same accounts share diamonds across worlds. They have a main city in one world and can farm diamonds in Spire on 2 other worlds. Small cities earn all the diamonds and don't need to spend them. Funnel them to main city. Main city gets premo stuff without needing to spend a dime. Still have to climb virtual stairs and do the work though on Spire though. A gold Spire run nets you 250 a week. So if you've got a Gold city in each world on UN, that's 250x3=750 diamonds/week.

As for tourney, before the Rune KP thing, that was an excellent source for farming KPs to build wonders with. Other people might tourney just to see their names at the top of charts for the sake of being on the top of charts, just like some people might build 40 armories to be on the top of ranking charts.

Both add a dimension of extra challenge. A city not doing either Spire or tourney do not need to spend as much goods/troops/resources. The city doing both, especially competitively, need to produce/replace troops and goods at a greater amount each week. It's more demanding and have to build leaner cities trimmed of excess fat.

SkyRider99

Mentor
As for tourney, before the Rune KP thing, that was an excellent source for farming KPs to build wonders with.
Is it possible to use KPs from the second and third cities in other worlds, to place those KPs on an AW in the primary world?

I am only running one city/world, but there seem to be advantages in having extra cities that I haven't explored.

sunrae

Soothsayer
Great answer @schadenfreude There is also another element, I have 3 cities and am in chapter 19 in my main. I did have 4 cities but retired one. In my "fighting" city I can enjoy the Spire and the Tournament just for their sake alone, it's great to help the fs get the rewards and it's a lot of fun without the pressure of the guest races and tech tree. I sold all my manufacturies and build a few little ones for the event quests. I don't diamond mine as it's not a priority for me, I simply enjoy playing the game and any diamonds gained are just a bonus, not a goal. My other city is on Beta in which we test the new features and that's fun too as well as giving me the heads up on new things so I can inform my main fs fellows of anything interesting but I do not hurry with guest races and in fact have only just started on the next chapter after a very long break. There is less pressure to log in every day when RL gets busy and having played a long time, trudging up the tech tree can lose it's appeal.
The beauty of this game is that the way each person plays is as diverse as the people who play it.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I am only running one city/world, but there seem to be advantages in having extra cities that I haven't explored.
lol BEWARE! I have another city on the US server. Diamonds are NOT shared across different markets so apparently I'm just doing the extra work.

SkyRider99

Mentor
lol BEWARE! I have another city on the US server. Diamonds are NOT shared across different markets so apparently I'm just doing the extra work.
So it appears that one should be careful to only start in a new World on the same server. There are only three Worlds on the EN1 server, which would be a limiting factor anyway.

kurgkurg

Conjurer
I have a different city in every world focused on a different goal - A -world is a fighting city for tournaments, F-world is focused on FA, and W-world on research. Frankly, W-world ch 19 city is the most boring because these last chapters were mostly painful and boring, just a little city-building what I like : )
different cities give a change, they don't directly help each other, although shared diamonds give more together and thus more flexibility as to what and when to use them.
The dedicated FA team is very exciting, but the tournament city is at least as exciting, once I prefer one then another. I love optimizing the city for a specific purpose and exploring what can be done in this game without buying more diamonds. Well, I can't buy event buildings and extensions indefinitely, but otherwise, it's all possible to compete at the top, and above all, the goal is to be either at the top of the tournament table, at the top in terms of points collected from the tournament, or at the top of the FA results, it's more inspiring than just boring research to do.
Long-term goal is to get higher and higher with results :) choose which ranking you like right now.
Most pointless is the players list in-game, I never understand the point of those ranking points meaning, and how it could be important. They don't have content in my eyes.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I never understand the point of those ranking points meaning, and how it could be important.
the goal is to be either at the top of the tournament table, at the top in terms of points collected from the tournament, or at the top of the FA results

It's exactly the same reasoning behind both of them, just a different table. It's all about enjoyment and none of us enjoy exactly the same thing as the other, there's no right or wrong. Each to their own ;):)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
It’s easier to understand others when we understand ourselves. What we enjoy is based on our upbringing and life, what we miss and like to get, what we are good at, what we like to be good at, what gives us respect and acceptance, what we admire, what makes us smile, what makes us forget our troubles, are we looking for a challenge to kill boredom or do we just want to relax etc.
You can see that all those are unique to each one of us so what you enjoy others might hate and other way around, there's nothing wrong with that when there's enough acceptance around and no harm is done.